When I first decided to go vegan, quinoa was my first adventure. Mostly because of the protein value, but also because I wanted to get ahead of the “hipster” crowd and say I tried it first. To be honest, I was already way late on that factor, but quinoa was still $7.99 a pound where I lived so in that aspect, I really was ahead of the game! When I tried it, I fell in love. I hardly ever use rice now because of it, especially since the price has gone down so much… and why should I? The texture is similar but the nutritional value is tons better than plain white rice and even brown rice. Not to mention, so much quicker to cook! (I’m terrible at cooking rice for some reason.)
I’ve recently introduced my sister-in-law to quinoa and she’s kind of run with the ingredient in many of her recipes. She was the one who came up with the idea to do Chicken Fried Quinoa so of COURSE I had to veganize it!
If you haven’t tried quinoa yet, try it with this recipe! It’s such a great way to introduce the grain into your diet and you really won’t miss the rice. This huge batch I made really didn’t last long in my house…
5 cups cooked quinoa
1/2 cup diced onion
1 12oz bag frozen, chopped broccoli
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
1 cup frozen soy beans
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 cup coleslaw mix
1 tablespoon chili sesame oil
3 tablespoons vegan butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup soy sauce
Add coleslaw mix, broccoli, peas and carrots, soybeans, corn, and sesame oil. Cook until vegetables are thawed and cabbage is softened. Cup by cup, mix in quinoa and then finish with soy sauce, combining until evenly distributed.
- 5 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 12oz bag frozen, chopped broccoli
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup frozen soy beans
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup coleslaw mix
- 1 tablespoon chili sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- In a large skillet or wok on medium heat, add butter garlic and onions.
- Cook until onions are tender.
- Add coleslaw mix, broccoli, peas and carrots, soybeans, corn, and sesame oil.
- Cook until vegetables are thawed and cabbage is softened.
- Cup by cup, mix in quinoa and then finish with soy sauce, combining until evenly distributed.