Well, I got my wish. It stopped raining and it’s officially SUMMER! So that means cookouts, pool time and… cucumbers?
I know, I’m weird, we’ve established this. I think I’ve been conditioned since a teenager to relate cucumber with summer thanks to Bath and Body Works’ Cucumber melon lotion, body spray, body wash, body EVERYTHING. I remember that being one of the “approved” scents I could wear in middle school because it didn’t smell too… “adult”.
But, I think ever since then, there’s just certain foods and smells that just ring in summer for me. As soon as it got warm, I just wanted to make some kind of tomato cucumber salad because I needed some crispy freshness in my life. So I came up with this gem. Good news is, I don’t feel the least bit guilty eating as much as I can of this stuff because it really isn’t bad for you at all. It’s really refreshing and perfect for that cookout I’m sure you’re eventually going to this summer!
3 cucumbers, quartered longways and chopped
1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 medium red onion, diced
1/4 cup of basil, chopped
1/4 cup of crumbled goat cheese
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons of EVOO
Combine vinegars, lemon juice, and EVOO in a large bowl with the basil and onions.
Fold in cucumbers, tomatoes, and goat cheese.
Make it vegan!: Take out the goat cheese!
- 3 cucumbers, quartered longways and chopped
- 1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup of basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup of crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of EVOO
- Combine vinegars, lemon juice, and EVOO in a large bowl with the basil and onions.
- Fold in cucumbers, tomatoes, and goat cheese.